Sunday, October 05, 2008

On... Randall's Wall by Carol Fenner

This book made it onto my list when I added all of the recommended summer reading books for middle school students in my district. I knew nothing about the book before I started reading.

Fenner's style appealed to me in an unusual way. She tells the story from several different points of view, most from Randall of course. Normally a technique like that turns me off of the book. In this case, Fenner made it work. It's almost as if Fenner holds the plot like a rope and lets out necessary information only at crucial points.

Randall's wall, figurative though it may be, struck me in such a profound way. As a teacher in training I have to be willing to look past what might not be appealing in the first place (or at all for that matter) in order to reach the student.

I can't tell much more than that without giving away the book but I do strongly recommend this book.

No comments: