Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On... Joan Lowry Nixon

I recently read several books by Joan Lowry Nixon and after the first few which were part of the Orphan Train series decided to write one review rather than one for each book.

I have mixed feelings about this author. All of her books that I read that were part of the Orphan Train series disappointed me. The writing was not bad. In fact I actually admired Nixon for her ability to avoid sinking into cliche literary techniques. Unfortunately the plot ideas for all of those stories I have read before. Because of this disappointment I did not hold out hope for the other two books of Nixon's that I had yet to read.

These other two books, The Haunting and Nobody's There impressed me perhaps because the bar was set so low. Now I reserve judgment on the supernatural aspect of The Haunting but the story captivated me especially with the historical aspect of the old Louisiana plantation house.

Of all of the Nixon books that I read I enjoyed Nobody's There the best. Nobody's There is a simple young adult mystery with appealing characters such as crochity old Edna.

I definitely recommend Nobody's There but can't say the same for the other books.

No comments: