Saturday, May 26, 2007

On memory

I normally don't work on Fridays. The volume at work is usually less than half of normal. Yesterday though I did work. (We did have only five or six orders but I took two of them).
I went out to Easley and Liberty, both places that I had gone before. For me, the trip down memory lane came when I delivered to liberty.
That was an office I went to before...a year and a week ago.

How do I remember you ask?

That's where the memory part comes in.

As I delivered there I remembered sitting outside in Big Red (our big cargo van) reading my book on China. There are other details that I remember about that particular delivery but I won't bore you and relate the otherwise inconsequential details.

The fact that I remembered was what struck me at the time. I remembered the exact date because of other associations that I had made such as the association of when I started the book, the office itself and etc.

I've often marveled at my grandfather's memory and wondered how he can remember exact conversations from fifty years ago. (yes he actually does that) I would love to have a memory like that and perhaps I do.

I remember things that my mother doesn't remember (things that involve her as well) and other things like that.

Things like yesterday make me marvel at memory. It really is a fascinating thing. God certainly does work in mysterious ways.

1 comment:

Em said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog! As soon as I get a minute, I'm going to update - I'm still at the Folk School for now. I hope you're doing well, and congratulations on graduation. :)