Monday, November 24, 2008

On Backwater by Joan Bauer

I think I have found a new favorite author.

Bauer enchants with this novel. I have to admit though that I felt an extra affinity for the main character, Ivy, because of her ardent love of history. Ivy loves history even more than I do and with a dedication that I would love to have.

Ivy Breedlove, a lover of history in a family of lawyers, attempts to create a family history for the birthday of a beloved aunt. She battles the expectations of her entire family that all Breedloves should become lawyers as well as an aunt who hold much for being efficient at the sake of preserving history. In addition Ivy is determined to find out what happened to her father's sister, Josephine, another "misfit" in the Breedlove family.

This is an amazing book. I love Bauer's clever wit and all of her beautiful imagery and definitely recommend this book!

No comments: