Saturday, November 08, 2008

On... The Living Stone by Jane Orcutt

I approached this book with bittersweet anticipation. For many years Jane Orcutt has been one of my favorite authors specifically because of two of her books The Fugitive Heart and The Hidden Heart which I have read many times. Just a few months ago Orcutt lost her battle to cancer.

I enjoyed this book and have a hard time criticizing it for the above reason. At the same time I do not agree completely with how Orcutt dealt with some serious issues. I guess that on different theological points I differ with Orcutt but not on the fundamentals of the faith.

Both Leah and Jacobo are complex and believable characters. I felt for Leah as she struggled with the death of her husband and son and all of the different ways that suffering can affect a family. Because of circumstances going on in my own family I understand how suffering can be perceived in different ways and how just because one person's loss may look on the surface to be more traumatic than the other that does not diminish either suffering.

I definitely recommend the book.

No comments: