Friday, December 29, 2006

On... well... I'm not sure yet

As you have most likely gathered from the title... I'm not exactly sure of the direction in which to head.

As of yesterday I finished the last book on my to do list. Granted, I have other books to read but by reading them I will not be crossing anything off this list. Because I have reached this point I figuratively have more time to work on my brainstorming, and plotting (I actually have done none of that) and editing.

As usual something crops up to take away that time. There is one rather large thing that took up most of my time this morning but I will not get into that because that is definitely a personal thing and I am trying to keep this blog about my writing and my ups and downs. The other thing has to do with school and textbooks.

I felt so accomplished when I ordered all of my textbooks right at the end of first semester. As the books started arriving I noticed that one of them didn't quite fit the class that it was ordered for. That textbook would be my Art History book. It turns out that somehow I ordered volume one for a second semester class dealing with Renssanice (I know I spelled that wrong but my brain will not get the right spelling out and I do not feel like asking anyone) Art until modern art.

To make a long story short I found the second volume but the price doubled while I waited to recieve my most recent paycheck. After a slight headache and some more searching I found what I think is a combined volume (I hope) for much much less.

Of course, I say all of this to say that my morning is completely gone and I have accomplished little of my goals. Of course, if I do not end up crossing everything off of my list at the end of vacation that will not be a bad thing.

I think the most important thing about my list is improving my writing ability. Of course I have mentioned that many times recently. I don't think I can mention it enough. I need to keep telling myself to get out there and expand my writing ability.

The more that I write the more I discover how rusty my skills are... like the kickstand on my bike. We went for a ride on the trails yesterday but before I could get started I had to wrestle with the kickstand just to get it up in a ridable position. Many times when I work through various exercises it must be like wrestling with the kickstand to pull it up. As I was writing this paragraph I remembered the direction I meant to take earlier... several hours ago... before I sat down with this entry.

Once again, while we're at the beach we are working on a puzzle... a very frustrating puzzle I might add. Instead of having a square or rectangular shape, this puzzle is formed in the shape of an eagle. The outside edges are definitely oddly shaped and from one to another one doesn't know which direction the piece will end up fitting.

I wrote the previous paragraph to say that several times while I was working on the puzzle I found myself getting frustrated and wanting to give up. This entry is getting long and I am starting to ramble so I think I will bid the entry goodbye and return when I have something profitable to add.

2 comments:

Em said...

It sounds like you've got everything resolved now (and this next semester is your last, right?), but I used to use Half.com for a lot of textbook purchases, notably art history texts. (As an aside, I ended up taking 7 semesters of art history, and I'm going to miss it!) It's also great for regular book purchases as well if you don't mind used books.

I fried my brain this afternoon putting a puzzle together with my grandmother, but those crazily-shaped ones are way more difficult than the one we were doing! I get obsessive about puzzles - I can't stop doing them until my mind and body are screaming in protest from the strain.

Though I don't have any writing thoughts to offer at the moment, I do like your kickstand analogy. :)

eva said...

Thanks. :D I love getting your comments.

Yeah. I think I have everything resolved. I ordered the text and I hope that it's simply the combined volumes. I'll just have an extra copy of Volume one. :D