Tuesday, February 06, 2007

On first tests

I have several of those this week.
One format I really like. My Early National Era teacher gave us the questions a week ago. I'll be e-mailing my essays in to her tomorrow probably. (I'd like to look over them once more).
Other formats I'm not fond of but I have to deal with them.
Tests in this category:
Spanish Lit...tomorrow (I've had her tests before so I know kind of what to expect)
History of Africa...Thursday (This is the scariest one...I'm not at all sure what to expect and my brain kind of gets fried just thinking about it)
Spanish Linguistics...Friday (I'm not sure how this one's going to go but we have a day devoted to review tomorrow)

Now that I've listed all these out for you I do have a point. Wow! (Sorry...I feel sarcastic at the moment and I have no idea why :D)

There's something about the first test that is utterly terrifying yet reassuring. It's terrifying in the sense that I have no idea what to expect but reassuring in the fact that I will prepare as much as I possibly can for the test and if I do poorly it's because I didn't know how to prepare for that teacher. Still, I don't like to do poorly.

Honestly, that's the only little bit of profundity I have in my brain at the moment. Next time I come I'll post my scene of conflict assignment from Creative Writing. (That's a funny thing... I said I would try to tackle it and make it the best I possibly could...prove her wrong... well, all of my Creative Writing assignments have gotten pushed to the bottom of the totem pole. Hah. We'll see how it goes)

2 comments:

Em said...

Whew, that's a lot of tests! I think my favorite tests in school were my art history tests, particularly with this one professor - the first part was slide identification (title, artist, date, location, style, etc. - pure memorization) with "write a few sentences about its importance" on the side, and then a big old two-essay section where we had to incorporate a ton of information into two topics we chose out of four. I was always really exhausted after those tests, and I had to study pretty thoroughly for them, but there was something really nice about knowing exactly what I needed to know and being able to formulate that in several different formats for the test.

My most unfavorite tests were in "academic" classes - sociology and marketing were particularly bad, since they were the standard mix of multiple choice, true or false, and short answer. Blech.

Anyway, good luck with all of your tests this week - I'm sure you'll do well! :)

eva said...

Huh...that's exactly how I feel!
Actually...yesterday when I started studying for History of Africa I got more than a tiny bit overwhelmed and had to do some serious praying.
I'm taking one thing at a time and trying not to get overwhelmed...I tend to get pessimisstic when I look at things that way. :D