Friday, February 23, 2007

On respect

I hear that a lot from my students.

There's only one problem. Even though they may not put it in these words...they demand respect from everyone but won't show respect to a person if that person doesn't respect them. Now tell me? How is that supposed to fly?

It doesn't.

I had two boys literally on each other today and at least one punch thrown.

My group for club is not the best but I'll leave it at that.

Here's my dilemna.

Most if not all of the behavior problems at work come from the root of pride and protecting one's own. You would never believe how angry these kids can get when another says something about the mother. "Your mama" to the extreme.

Their defense when I confront them is always "Well he said..." or "She hit me first..." or... you get the picture.

I think I could talk to them until I'm blue in the face and tell them repeatedly that if someone says or does something unkind to them they walk away and tell the teacher. (Doing something kind in return would be an absolute miracle in the true sense of the word.)

They get this stuff at home too. That's what their parents tell them to do--hit back that is.

Who knows. I guess I just needed to vent.

Coming soon. My short story.

No comments: