Thursday, February 01, 2007

On South Carolina winter weather

Today has been such an answer to prayer.
Even though I often laugh at how South Carolinians respond to even the chance of snow (if the power goes out, the milk is going to be the first thing to go :D) I really appreciate the day off that it gave me today.

At school today was supposed to be the Day of Prayer but because of the chance of inclement weather the administration made the decision ahead of time to make the Day of Prayer/half Day of Rest into a full Day of Rest (I know... shock). They would rather reschedule the Day of Prayer for later in the semester and have everyone able to attend rather than miss all of the town students.

That alone caused great rejoicing in my heart. Why? Because I got to sleep in. :D The busier I become... the older I become... the more I appreciate the occasional day of sleeping in.

Then, this morning when I awoke to find that there actually was snow on the ground (and on the street most especially) I pretty much figured that the public schools would also be canceled and I wouldn't have to work today either. :D Yup. That indeed was the case.

I now have almost a second Saturday this week. How lovely is that?

On days like this when there is actually snow on the ground I almost wish that I lived slightly further north where there would be snow on the ground more often and where the snow would stay longer but I honestly don't wish that. I always remember how much I don't like the cold (my fingers take double the amount of time as the rest of my body to warm up and they get cold twice as fast).

Who knows? Perhaps God will have me teaching somewhere up north in a few years. Hah... now wouldn't that be a riot.

Enjoy this day of lovely "winter" weather.

2 comments:

Em said...

I hear you on wishing the snow would stay longer. I think when I'm actually gainfully employed and have the opportunity to take a vacation, I'm going to take it during the winter instead of the summer and go someplace with LOTS OF SNOW! Nice, fluffy snow too, not the icy slush that formed after the initial snowfall yesterday.

eva said...

Yeah. I can't remember the last time I saw actual snow. :D