Wednesday, February 18, 2009

On meetings

Since starting my journey in the MAT program I have come to a realization. I suppose that I have always known this but it has become glaringly clear. Most adults love talking to each other even if that talking includes complaining about how much time we have to spend in meetings.

Now isn't that ironic?

Granted, there are many things on a teacher's plate, especially a teacher at a Title 1 school. The oversight superimposed on such a school is necessary but can be quite time consuming. Trust me I have seen this in action and actually heard more about it than seen it. Actually, that is not true but you know what I mean.

I think though that all of this work could be accomplished in a much shorter time if the teachers spent less time complaining about the world load and more time actually doing it. Please don't think that I am complaining but it is at times like this when I am most thankful that God made me a quiet person. :D

Something else that I have learned from all of this is how to approach meetings. First, I will make a list (mental or on paper) of what I need to find out to help me accomplish my responsibilities. Second, I will be willing to give of my time in order to listen to another person no matter how long they may wind on. (That's where the hard part is going to come in but I know that God will help me with it. :D)

No comments: