Thursday, May 29, 2008

On... The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

This is the second book in the HIs Dark Materials trilogy. I read the first, The Golden Compass last year just after the movie came out. I had intended to read the book before I saw the movie but to this day I have yet to see the movie.

Pullman ambitiously tries to weave an insanely complex world with all kinds of different mythologies that leave out God. Well... perhaps that's not the best way to say that. Pullman tries to kill God, at least that's what this knife can do... the one referred to in the title of the book.

While Pullman writes with great ability I think he bit off more than he could chew in trying to sort out this completely different world. In the beginning I couldn't even completely understand how the two young children were transitioning between these different worlds or even what world they were in at various times.

I did enjoy the book and would recommend it to people who can read with discretion.

No comments: