Thursday, June 14, 2007

On graffiti

When my mother called me this morning I wasn't expecting the news that she told me.

Apparently this is the season for gang initiations. The fact that this happens in my hometown is surprising enough. Then comes the news that my church was a target.

The doors to the main auditorium and a pillar nearby were painted (to put it nicely). One of the pastors mentioned that it reminded him of his time in Chicago.

I don't know. Doing harm to another person's property...and a church at that...seems so foreign to me...so wrong. Then mom called with more news. Two of the staff members had their front doors painted as well. She asked me to check our front door but thankfully nothing had been done.

This is the part where it gets scary. Whoever damaged the church did not randomly pick that church out of the three churches in the general area. Whoever damaged the church knew the addresses of at least two of the people who worked there.

My stomach sank at the news. Most likely...someone within the church acted as the perpetrator.

See, to me the idea of doing something like this is completely foreign like I mentioned before. I know that is because of the work that God is doing in my heart...the fact that I have grown up learning that things like that are wrong.

The person who did this? Well, if they were a part of my church then perhaps they grew up with the same knowledge.

Chew on that for a while.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Sometimes God has to bring someone to a breaking point, where they do something that boxes them in before they will listen to what they have been hearing all their life. I pray that this is what is happening to whoever did this.