Thursday, June 07, 2007

On high schoolers

One of the girls that I work with at my new job at Cool Beans is a high schooler. From looks alone I would have guessed that she was in college at least...especially since she had been working at Cool Beans for over a year.

Anyway

If we had been in high school together we definitely would not have run in the same circles. Most likely she would not have considered me a worthy object to make friends with (not that I think that she's snobby or anything but I think you understand).

The past two days (the two days that I've worked with her) some friends have come in and talked to her (there are many...many slow spots during an evening). When this happens I try and busy myself with other work somewhere else in the restaurant so as not to seem obtrusive but of course I end up hearing their conversation.

Wow. Was I like that in high school? I keep thinking that I wasn't but I guess at some point I was to some extent.

Then I got to thinking. All this time I thought that I was of a similar age to her (older of course) but then I realized that I am six years older than she is. Wow. Yeah, it's at times like this I am very glad that I have a college degree and a plan so that I won't end up in a job like the two I have (not that they are bad or anything) for the rest of my life.

Hmm...that's all I have for today.

No comments: