Friday, June 29, 2007

On road construction

A few weeks ago I noticed a sign warning everyone that traveled on my road (well, the one that my subdivision is off of) that one of the bridges would be out from 6/12 until 8/21 (or some date close to that).

When I first read that sign I groaned because I remember when the bridge at the other end of the road was out of commission.

I'd just started coming home that way from work and had to switch things up. Of course it wasn't that big of a deal but... I think you understand. Now, about two years later the bridge at the other end is out of the commission just when I started coming home that way from my teacher's assistant job (not now of course because school is out for the summer). Get the picture?

Well, once work started we had to change our routes a tiny bit. On a normal day we don't drive down that way on the road. When I needed to go to the library it was midly frustrating because it felt like I was going completely out of the way. I put up with it though because I knew that I would be gone for a little over three weeks of the time that they were scheduled to work on it.

I have to admit. It was kind of fun to be able to drive on the wrong side of the road in order to bypass the "bridge out" sign.

Unfortunately, my fun is over.

Get this. Two days ago my mom calls to tell me that the sign just beyond our subdivision was down but that the other one wasn't. We couldn't figure out what this meant. She told me that all the construction seemed to be gone from the bridge and that the bridge was paved.

Well, when I left a couple hours later for work I actually had to stop at the entrance to my subdivision to look for oncoming traffic on the bridge side of the road.

Here's what I can't figure out.

The first bridge that was out of commission for work actually took a month longer to finish than had been projected.

This bridge finished in under a month. Construction took barely two weeks to complete.

When have you ever heard of that?

2 comments:

Eric said...

Must not have been government employees this time...lol

eva said...

that was your bright idea for humor? lol