Sunday, September 09, 2007

On tea

Though born and raised in the south I did not grow up among tea drinkers. I never acquired a liking for sweet tea. Because I don't drink tea and don't carry any southern twang in my accent among other things, many people mistake my region of origen.

To be honest, there is something in the taste of tea...generic sweet/unsweet tea served at most restaurants in the south...that is completely untenable for me.

I tried hot tea once. I couldn't resist after smelling the wonderful fruit smell wafting up as I made the hot tea for customers. Unfortunately that same untenable taste came to my mouth.

After that experience I wrote off tea as a beverage I would drink. Lately many things have combined to enhance the status of good quality tea in my eyes. I won't bother to list all of them because that is not the point. I made a decision that if I had the chance I would try some good quality tea and attempt to teach myself to like tea...the same way I did with coffee. (I know it can be done)

That opportunity arrived today. After lunch Laura and I decided to go over to the mall for a free facial at a cosmetics store but they were closed. We decided to enjoy ourselves and wander around the mall while we waited for Mom to return.

She took me to Tea Junction. (She just happens to like tea ;) ) Although she encouraged me to try something, I actually didn't need the encouragement.

The only thing that remained was for me to decide which drink I would purchase. After much deliberation I got a Roibos (I doubt that I'm spelling that right...light was glaring on the menu so I never really got a clear look at it) Caramel Swirl.

Before my drink was ready, Laura recieved hers. I forget the name but it was a peach tea mixed with sparkling water. I took a taste. Amazing.

She offered to switch with me if when I got the drink I ordered I didn't like it. No switch occurred. One taste was all I needed to fall in love with the drink. The taste was so unique (and so long ago I can't quite remember it exactly) and so absolutely amazing...so much better than the majority of espresso drinks I've ever had. The flavor was so full yet not overly sweet (the result of attempts to get similar flavor from espresso drinks).

I have yet to try hot tea so we'll see if I'm taking this journey with the right steps.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Hey, I want to go to the Tea Junction or whatever it's called...=)