Thursday, September 06, 2007

On working

Many times I have struggled between wanting to work and earn more money to provide for my bill paying and my enjoyment of being able to relax and enjoy myself at home.

Each time my work schedule changes I rely on God to help me adjust to the new schedule.

My schedule starting on Monday is definitely different than anything I’ve had before, sort of like dipping my toe into the wide world of work before I return to my “haven” of school next June.

I remarked earlier that it was odd to be continuing my summer schedule or what was my normal summer schedule during my college years while nearly everyone I knew returned to school.

I enjoyed the ability to sleep in to a relatively late time and accomplish a few things before I headed off for a day’s work that wasn’t strictly defined except for the start time.

Now I will have a defined start and end time for at least two of the three parts of my work day and a relatively defined end time for the third. In addition, there will be no ambiguity about what I will be doing whereas before I never knew exactly what I would be doing: one delivery, two deliveries, going to Spartanburg or Due West.

Even more than that my identity at work will change from one of delivery driver...something that I have been since I started at the job in December nearly two years ago...to working in the Café.

I think this will be a good change, something that helps me grow. Then again, when does God ever do something in our life that does not help us grow?

1 comment:

Eric said...

AMEN