Thursday, April 24, 2008

On... The Giver by Lois Lowry and The Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

I finally got around to reading The Giver after my sister's raving reviews. If I remember correctly, this is her favorite book. I can see why. Lowry crafts a hypothetical world designed to protect people from every possible worry or care but in the end place all of that pain on one person so that they (the rest of the people) won't have to bear it.

I enjoyed the story and the hypothetical presented. I won't go so far as to say that it's my favorite book but I did like it.

In most cases I wish that I had read the book before I saw the movie based on it but in this case I am glad that I saw the movie first. I don't think that I would have wanted to watch the movie if I had known about the major twist that I caught only one allusion before hand too in the book. (I caught this only because I already knew what was coming).

While I don't agree with Paterson's worldview the book is excellent.

(On a completely side note... that last sentence took me quite a while to get right because of the motorcycle revving up the road right beside the house. I don't think that I like motorcycles.)

1 comment:

alisonwonderland said...

The Giver is one of my all-time favorites.

i read Bridge to Terabithia as a child and remember loving it. i haven't seen the movie, so i think i ought to do that and also re-read the book.