Saturday, April 26, 2008

On ... Kingscote by Linda Lee Chaikin

I have always loved Chaikin's books and have yet to be disappointed. This is the third book in the series of which unfortunately I have not read the first. I picked up the second book at a used book sale for less than a dollar and while it took me a little while to get all of the characters and their relationships straightened out I still enjoyed the book.

When I started reading this book and connected it to the above book I ran upstairs to make sure that I wasn't reading a book I had already read before. That's happened twice so far during this challenge and may happen again. :D (One of the books I just picked up from the library I have the distinct feeling that I've already read before).

Even though Chaikin does things in her books that turn me off to other writers (namely Gilbert Morris) like have multiple characters and weaving from pov to pov I still enjoy her books. The plots are absolutely crazy but so insanely cool and romantic (not in the lovey dovey sense but...) that I want to go back to India during the time of British colonialism just so I'll have a character like Jace Buckley sweep me off my feet. :D

In the end, all of the plot twists that stretch the imagination work and Chaikin manages to weave into the story a very strong witness for Christ... not just yelling preaching fire and brimstone. (read... Gilbert Morris)

This book definitely receives a solid thumbs up from me.

No comments: