Tuesday, April 08, 2008

On... In Search of Eden by Linda Nichols

It's amazing how an opinion of a book can change just depending on the books read before.

In my ranking of favorite authors Linda Nichols would definitely rank somewhere below Ann Tatlock. When I first started reading In Search of Eden I compared it to Every Secret Thing and found myself disappointed. I had had a higher opinion of Nichols and couldn't keep from focusing on the negatives about her writing.

I found myself distracted by the multiple points of view. Sometimes when an author tries to tell the whole story, the main focus of the plot can get lost in the transitions between characters. That's what I felt happened with In Search of Eden. The only other thing that distracted me was Nichols frequent use of the had + verb construction as well as a few too many be verbs.

Then came yesterday when I "had to" read almost all of the Gilbert Morris books on my list. Those books rank at the absolute bottom of my list.

I came back to In Search of Eden with a whole new view. Yes I still noticed the minor detractions mentioned above but at least these characters had real development and believable spiritual changes.

I really enjoyed this book and even felt a twinge of disappointment when I turned that last page.

No comments: