Tuesday, July 15, 2008

On... the Beyond the Western Sea Series by Avi

I have to say that I was rather disappointed with the series. I guess it comes from reading a ton of other books written in the same era and written poorly.

While these books were not written poorly neither did they sparkle and entertain. I almost know the end outcome of the books before I read more than a few chapters.

Avi also dragged the plot of the books down with too many extraneous characters and subplot lines. For a children's book I had trouble keeping track of who was good and on the side of the main characters and who wasn't.

The book is decent and would most likely give a child a sense of accomplishment for reading a 415 page book (the second in the series). I probably would not recommend it or assign the books for students.

1 comment:

Karlene said...

I like some of Avi, and others not so much. Thanks for the review.