Sunday, July 20, 2008

On... A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Wow!

I added this book to my list after either watching or reading some very good reviews about the book. Other than knowing that the book was good I had no idea of the story contained within the covers.

The best comparison I can make style-wise is to To Kill a Mockingbird. Now Francie does not go through anything as significant as the trial highlighted in To Kill a Mockingbird but that is the best comparison I can make.

I absolutely fell in love with Francie Nolan. I felt the hidden pain of poverty though Francie when she was young thought that some of the things were the best in the world. I wanted to fix Katherine Nolan's world, working as hard as she possibly could to support her two children and her good intentioned drunkard husband.

I absolutely loved this book. I would read it over and over again. I definitely recommend it.

1 comment:

Karlene said...

I loved this book! It's one of my all-time favs. Thanks for the review.