Sunday, July 06, 2008

On... what-the-dickens by Gregory Maguire

I'm glad that I gave Maguire another shot after reading Wicked. I really was disappointed with Wicked after hearing such great things about it. (The music for the musical is phenomenal. :D)

I loved Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and now I add what-the-dickens to that list.

I found the story within a story technique well handled even though other reviews I read found the technique confusing. I have to admit though I was confused just a bit with the lack of information given about the setting of the outside story but as the story continued Maguire dropped the information in the story that filled in the missing pieces. The story ends in a bit of a clif-hanger but from what I've read what-the-dickens is intended to be the first in a series. If so, the ending makes perfect sense.

I really loved the book (and even felt good vibes of Artemis Fowl :D). I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Karlene said...

Oh, this sounds like I'd like it. Thanks for the review.