Sunday, July 13, 2008

On... Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelson

I found myself utterly disappointed by this book. The ultimate lesson that Cole, the main character, learned from his time on the island... a punishment for his aggressive acts... could have been told with much less gore.

The first third of the book deals with Cole navigating through his sentence as part of the Circle of Justice, an alternative sentencing program, to a year alone on an island. Cole decides to rebel and try to escape but ends up getting mauled by a bear. That's where the gratuitousness comes in. Mikaelson tells about the mauling in very detailed form.

I pushed through the book and the last half wasn't as bad. Cole ended up learning a very important lesson but I couldn't enjoy this as much because of the first third.

I definitely don't recommend this book.

No comments: