Saturday, August 16, 2008

On... Airman by Eoin Colfer

So far only one book of Colfer's outside of the Artemis Fowl series has lived up to the excellence, in my eyes, of that series. This was not that book.

Now, that does not mean that Colfer's writing is any less excellent or that the picture and the characters he creates any less real or vivid. Sometimes I think though that Colfer's desire to create a hero with any number of complexes goes a little too far.

I felt great compassion for the Airman (once again I am writing this review over a week after having read the book so please forgive me for forgetting the character's actual name) and for the injustice. Colfer threw in so many plot twist that my head came away spinning.

The ending felt a little unfulfilled. All of the loose ends didn't seem to be quite tied up so I wonder if this is the first in another series for Colfer. If so then I would be willing to revisit this character and series because I can remember not liking the first book in the Artemis Fowl series for almost the same reason.

No comments: