Wednesday, August 06, 2008

On... The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

I knew nothing about this book before I picked it up and started reading. I hoped that this book would not disappointing like the previous read. I also expected that the book would have something to do with Native Americans or something like that based both on the title and one of the covers that displayed a Native American looking boy.

No, my expectations for this book turned out to be completely wrong. I ended up with a very positive read which was so wonderful after one of David Almond's books. The book is set in Jerusalem during the time of Roman occupation and Jesus' three year ministry.

I absolutely loved watching Daniel grow from the bitter, angry boy that he once was at the beginning of the book, so angry at the Romans who killed his parents and somehow (on this point I'm not quite sure) left his sister demon possessed and irrevocably damaged. Daniel makes quite a mature yet still young character that I think will appeal to many young readers both boys and girls.

I definitely recommend this book!

1 comment:

Karlene said...

This has been on my "to read" list for a long time. Thanks for the review.