Saturday, August 16, 2008

On... the Keepers of the Ring series by Angela Hunt

Oh. My. Word. This series is incredible! Of Hunt's three historical series I have to say that this is my absolute favorite.

This series explores the relationship between the English and Indian during the colonial period. The main characters, after the first book, are for the most part of biracial which allows Hunt to explore the choices that such a person would have to face... whether to be English or to be Indian.

At the same time some of the most profound issues Hunt dealt with had to do with whether worship has to have a certain look, whether the worship habits of the Indian or of the Puritan had to be exclusive for the sake of the other.

In addition to the serious issues Hunt also weaves several beautiful love stories, the most poignant being that of Fallon and Gilda in the second book, Jamestown. I have to admit though that I have not read the fifth and last book of the series and thus, though I do not expect to, may find a more beautiful love story.

I strongly recommend this book for any lover of history and excellent writing.

1 comment:

Karlene said...

This sounds really interesting. Thanks for the review.