Friday, November 23, 2007

On... The Covenant and The Sacrifice by Beverly Lewis

I've already read books two and four in this series so now reading books one and three I am simply filling in the gaps, learning information that simply existed in the other books. I think I almost prefer it this way. The information that I learned in say Book four is enhanced by the initial revelation in book three (The Sacrifice)

I found myself drawn into these books like I haven't been for a long time. Many of these books on my list are not books that I would normally read for pleasure. The reasons for that are various. Many of the books from the past week aren't my normal fare simply because I am a college graduate and not in elementary school or middle school. That's not to say that they aren't good books of course. Some of the other books fall outside my normal range because I have matured in my tastes in reading (books like that are all of the Gilbert Morris books). Even as I sit and write this review I can't wait to dive into the last book, the conclusion of this story and finally see Leah become Jonas' Leah. :D

I have always been intriqued by the Amish and reading Mrs. Lewis' books have often satisfied or intensified that curiosity. I also find it interesting how she deals with the question of the right way to find God and whether an Amish person can truly be a child of God. She doesn't have a pat answer for every character. For every character that rebels against the Old Order Amish ways and finds God outside the Amish church she has one that finds truth in the church but obviously more so than that... in a desire to serve God in the best way possible.

No comments: