Thursday, November 22, 2007

On... The Journal of Finn Reardon and A Coal Miner's Bride

Both of these books are part of the Dear America Series although the first is part of an off shoot series "My Name is America".

The Journal of Finn Reardon is the story of a young newsie who manages to rise above all of the hardships of a life in the Five Points of New York City to become a college graduate and successful newspaper reporter. While the fact that Finn was successful is a little hard to believe the rest of the story was very fun to read including a grandfather figure that made me laugh out loud a couple of times.

A Coal Miner's Bride drew me in from the beginning. Anetka is a spunky girl who ends up traveling to the United States to marry a man she's never met although she's already starting to fall in love with a young man traveling with her to America. I loved this story though it was hard to wrap my head around the fact that for the majority of the story Anetka is only thirteen and fourteen.

I'm definitely planning to read more of these books in the future.

No comments: