Thursday, November 08, 2007

On Brave Companions by David McCullough and Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley

After a brief hiatus (I was out of the country on a mission trip to Ecuador. Wow was that amazing) I am back.

Every time I pick up a David McCullough book I am amazed at his writing style. Brave Companions holds several smaller pieces of writing compiled according to similar subject. Some of the pieces describe in brief the life of a famous person. Others tell the history of an area. Each of these pieces taste like delicious chocolate. I suppose that's the History B.A. in me.

Flags of Our Fathers appealed to the writer in me. I've often wondered about the lives of people that I pass on the street or that I see in photos on the wall. I couldn't put down the book because I wanted to know all of the details about the lives of these six men united in history by 1/400th of a second. These men were so ordinary, almost like characters I would create in my head...ordinary yet extraordinary. Bradley's writing style is very similar to McCullough's...a storyteller...yet I still prefer McCullough probably because of his historical expertise.

No comments: