Friday, November 09, 2007

On... Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers

I was absolutely enchanted by this book. I always loved the movie and wondered what the book would be like. Obviously some things are different... such as the fact that different little stories are told in the book than are related in the movie but overall I think the book to movie transition worked well.

Now, onto the book itself.
Even if I didn't picture Julie Andrews in the role of Mary Poppins I would have loved to have a babysitter/nanny like Mary Poppins who could tell the most wonderful stories like that of the red dancing cow. I was reading along and din't quite catch the transition to Mary Poppin's story but once I figured things out I couldn't get enough of that little story.

As I turned each page I could definitely picture myself reading this book to my kids (if I ever have kids)... you know, the chapter a night thing.

I was also enchanted by the British spellings and sayings. Heh... I don't think I can say anything negative about the book.

No comments: