Monday, October 22, 2007

On ... The Still of Night by Kirsten Heitzmann

With this book I returned to another author that I haven't read for several years. The previous books of hers that I've read are historical fiction so this was a new introduction to her writing style in contemporary fiction.

I fell in love with the characters in Heitzmann's two historical fiction series but I had a hard time connecting with the two main characters in this book. Most likely this was just something in my head because at the beginning I had the distinct feeling that I'd already read this book before or at least I'd read a book with this exact story line (or something very similar) before. Throughout the book I kept searching for hints that would remind me of the other similar book that I read or confirm that I had read this book before. I'm still not sure.

I think I will begin analyzing the books I read based on the following criteria: plot, characterization, revelation of backstory, grammar, imagery

Plot: I have to admit that I projected my own ideas on where the plot was going to go based on that idea in the back of head. Unfortunately, my projected ideas turned out to be true for the most part. What intrigued me was the interaction of the subplots, as characters came in and out of the story.

Characterization: Of course I wanted to know how each character's story developed. I learned much about the two main characters: Morgan and Jill and enjoyed watching them change, grow closer to God in believable steps (although extreme at some points). When I finished the book I wanted to know more about characters that made brief appearances in Morgan and Jill's life like Jill's learning disabled students or the troubled boy that Morgan mentors (or attempts to mentor). Now, I admit...Heitzmann would have needed to write a much bigger and weighty book if she intended to fully develop these characters. I guess what I wish is that she would have better tied off those subplots/character's stories.

Revelation of backstory: I don't have much too say here. Ms. Heitzmann did an excellent job.

Grammar: Thankfully no glaring errors jumped off the page. Something about significant grammar mistakes turns me off to an author. Not Ms. Heitzmann though.

Imagery: Occansionally, an author that I read wil create such striking word pictures that I can remember even after I put down the book. Now, Mrs. Heitzmann is noot one of those authors but she does paint a picture clear enough for me that I can see the action and the characters. My heart even skipped a beat (okay, speaking figuratively) when Ms. Heitzman introduced Santa Barbara as Morgan's place of residence. I absolutely love that city and also having been there I could more easily picture the locations Ms. Heitzman describes.

No comments: