Friday, October 19, 2007

On ... Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Reading both 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 in the same day helped me compare the two writing styles I believe.

I come away from Fahrenheit 451 with a bad taste in my mouth. Of course, the main point of the book is about burning book...it did make me think about what life would be like without books. That would be a terrible place for me.

I kept getting confused though as I read. Things weren’t explained very well in my opinion. Bradbury did develop Montag quite well. When I first started reading the book I thought of Montag as a very calloused man, carefree in his job as a fireman but then as he watched something horrible happen on the job and actually picked up a book to read his character changed dramatically but it wasn’t a sudden turn around. His transformation was quite believable.

I wasn’t ready for the end of the book because I was expecting the end of the book to come at page 192...the number I’d seeno n the last page...but it turns out that two other of Bradbury’s short stories were also included at the end of the book. I blame that shortcoming on myself.

In my opinion Orwell has a much more enjoyable writing style than Bradbury but both authors leave me longing for a little something with hope.

No comments: