Friday, October 19, 2007

On ... 1984 by George Orwell

This book drew me in from the get go. I vaguely remembered reading about how the book ended and as I read I remembered more of the ending.

Overall the book is a hopeless book. I can’t imagine living in a world where I am literally told what to think. My mind is always moving at such rapid paces even when I’m not writing anything. I’m also very opinionated. :D

The book is bearable to read because at a few scattered points in the book Orwell infuses some sense of hope that Winston can overcome Big Brother but then once he is captured all hope flees.

The fantasy of this world that Orwell created absolutely fascinated me. My thoughts are often filled with what ifs. 1984 makes me very thankful that I live in the world that I live in and the fact that I was not born into this Orwellian society. (Isn’t it amazing how Orwell’s name has come to describe an entire society of people?)

1 comment:

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

You sure didn't go for light reading in your Fall List, did you, Eva. LOL

Have you ever read Aldus Huxley's Brave New World? It's similar and sometimes I get these two books mixed up.

The thing that is amazing to me is how some of these "big brother" things are actually starting to play out.

Rebecca LuElla Miller