Tuesday, March 25, 2008

On... Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident

I wondered where the second book in the series would pick up and if Artemis would have a new dastardly mission to begin, conquering some other world or something (besides the fairies). I also wondered how Colfer would develop Artemis' character.

With a villain there are two ways to take. One is to create a simply or nearly unbelievably callous villain who always does what is best for him no matter what. Colfer couldn't take this route. He had already established Artemis' desire to rescue his father. Now, how Artemis set about doing said thing could be illegal, granted.

Now, as much as I loved the fairy world and would have loved to have seen Captain Holly Short be the primary character from the beginning (have the series revolve around her), the series is clearly named after Artemis Fowl. This book created yet another villain, a fairy out for revenge for an incident that happened in the first novel, and employed Artemis and Butler in aiding the fairies keep their world from being dominated by ruthless villains. Granted, Artemis helps them in order to save his father but still, the book seemed to divert away from the villainous nature of Artemis established in the first book.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the book and I enjoyed the focus on the fairy world, I just think that if the series is named after Artemis Fowl, the primary concern of the book should be one of his concerns.

Also, I wish Colfer would just leave the character of Mulch Diggums alone. The whole "digging" process is simply disgusting. I know that young boys who may read this books will love all of those parts and most likely laugh hilariously but still... I simply don't think that it's in good taste.

No comments: