Saturday, March 22, 2008

On Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

For the longest time I don't know why but I assumed that Eoin Colfer was a girl. Silly me.

I've been intrigued by Artemis Fowl simply because I knew that these books were somewhat of the Harry Potter type. I believe I watched some sort of news magazine segment that compared them. Apparently several different popular series of this type were published about this time.

I found myself pleasantly surprised by the book, especially by the revelation that Artemis Fowl is a villain. (No spoilers. It says as much on the dust jacket)

Although some of the things in the book would make me shy away from recommending it to pre-teens (10-12 or 13) the book is well written, lots of plot twists, clever imaginings of fairies (something that has always fascinated me as a kid) and what happens when the two worlds collide.

I look forward to reading the other four books in the series that I have checked out from the library.

Now, my reading of this series may be interrupted by a brief interlude so that I can finish Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. That was the first book I intended on finishing. Unfortunately the book made its way back to the library before I could even retrieve my bookmark. :D

No comments: