Monday, March 31, 2008

On... Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs

I found myself strangely fascinated by this book. I have read a Dear America book, a diary of a slave girl, very similar to this book but this account is purported to be true. Disclaimer: I am not claiming that the facts of this book are false, only that we as humans are prone to exaggerate and Ms. Jacobs may have exaggerated or otherwise alter the facts. Since I did not live at that time or live her life I do not know.

Jacobs' writing style threw me a little. She did not always give information as an author of a novel would but she was writing her memoirs or autobiography... whichever word you choose. She never out right mentioned who the father of her children was and I found myself flipping the pages back to try and figure out but perhaps I either skimmed over that information without realizing it or she did in fact never out right mention the name or identity.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and wish to own it. I believe that it would make an excellent addition to my library of historical books. (After all, if I want to teach history some day I should have some good books shouldn't I?)

2 comments:

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Hi Phoenix,

I read this book too! I reviewed it for Black History Month. Actually Harriet did say who her children's father was. It was the sympathetic senator. Here's the link to my review

http://web.mac.com/bluestocking_bb/The_Bluestocking_Guide/The_Bluestocking_Guide/Entries/2008/2/8_Incidents_in_the_Life_of_a_Slave_Girl.html

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I loved this book. I read it in college for an American Lit class and it was fascinating.