Monday, March 24, 2008

On... The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

To my great surprise when I picked up The Hitchhiker's Guide from the library my bookmark made a miraculous appearance! Even after being dropped in the book drop and re-shelved I didn't have to waste precious time searching for my bookmark. :D

Usually I try to read the book before I watch the movie based on the book. In the case of this book I didn't even know that it existed until I watched the movie.

In all honest, I was not disappointed. Usually the book is better than the movie or the movie is better than the book. Some comparisons can be made. For me the movie seemed to be almost exactly like the book, with the same droll, inane humor that makes the Hitchhiker's Guide so unique.

Though I expected many more pages in the story (due to a 92-page bonus section on the making of the movie) I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Reading it made the time fly.

The Old Man and the Sea

Hemingway proves why his works rank so high in the esteem of American literature critics. On the outset, the story of a foolish old man who allows a big catch to pull him too far out to sea but when he finally catches it, loses the flesh of the fish to sharks doesn't actually seem all that interesting.

I couldn't help but keep reading. Hemingway held onto information like Ebenezer Scrooge with gold and dropped choice nuggets at appropriate times. Only a true master of words could manage something like this without looking contrived.

Both books were a pleasure to read, though the Old Man and the Sea was certainly not "entertainment".

No comments: