Wednesday, March 26, 2008

On... Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception

Wow. I could not put the fourth book in this series down. Colfer carefully weaves together the lives of Artemis and Holly Short in a way that if not already evident from earlier books in the series, confirms that though the series may be titled Artemis Fowl, Artemis is only one of the major players.

I got so caught up in the book. I nearly cried when one of the characters died. I couldn't believe that Colfer did that. I kept waiting for some way for the character to return. After all, Butler has had several near death experiences but still lives and breathes albeit slightly altered.

I wish that Juliet had made an appearance in the fourth book. Her presence in the third added a new dimension to the story.. If Colfer doesn't bring her back into the fifth book I'll wonder if he just simply used her character as a tool to further the plot in that particular book. Well, not quite as dire as that sounds but nearly so.

While I look forward to reading the fifth book in the series I almost hesitate to do so because the fate of Artemis Fowl and Holly Short will remain in limbo after the conclusion of the book.

No comments: