Tuesday, June 03, 2008

On... Peril at End House by Agatha Christie

While most of Agatha Christie's books are intriguing on their own once many of the books are read a pattern is easily detectable. In fact, most of the Hercule Poirot books have a Sherlock Holmes set up to them. This story was told from the perspective of Captain Hastings, the man to which Poirot confides and uses as a board to bounce his ideas off.

Another thing that I don't like about Christie's books is the fact that the ending is usually something that cannot be detected by even the most casual observation. I have to rephrase that. I caught maybe one or two hints about the ending and the ultimate culprit but too often Christie keeps the reader completely in the dark.

I appreciate Christie's style. She weaves a captivating mystery... albeit unsolvable... without any of the extraneous or I should say gratuitous information that many other authors feel like they have to in order to get people to continue reading their books.

Although I did say a few negative things about the book I do give this book a positive recommendation. it's a good read with only a few points that I simply don't like.

No comments: