Sunday, June 29, 2008

On... The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

I had heard from my Dad that the book is definitely different than the movie. That certainly is true.

I have to say that I was very disappointed in how Leroux portrayed some of my favorite characters from the musical and the movie. Of course, those people changed Leroux's characters to begin with but I like the changes that they made.

Leroux while creating an interesting story wavered back and forth from one story line to another without smooth transitions and many confusing details. I missed several key transitions even reading rather slowly (for me at least) and had to go back to reread and still didn't get a few of those details.

I wouldn't recommend this book unless people want to read classics.

1 comment:

Karlene said...

I haven't read the book, but I've wanted to. That's really interesting. I've found that many books written during that same time period are difficult to follow.