Sunday, December 30, 2007

On... The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I don't know of another author that can toy so with my emotions. Khaled Hosseini must be a jinn (to use a reference from Arabian Nights) in the way that can raise a readers hope in one instance and then without even saying exactly what happened make the reader's stomach clench hoping against hopes that the most terrible thing has not occurred when in actuality it has.

I remember at one point thinking that the story moved along much slower than A Thousand Splendid Suns and wondered where Hosseini would take the story in order to fill up the remaining hundred fifty pages remaining.

That memory is vague now. I came to the last page and read Amir's words. Tears came to my eyes. I could not believe how absolutely beautifully Hosseini tied the story together... the story of a man searching for redemption from an act he fled from as a young man, an act that tortured him for years.

Hosseini's books are so terribly beautiful. They are full of terrible regrets and heinous events yet so far Hosseini has ended his stories with hope that seems so absolutely impossible to believe but yet so right.

1 comment:

Eric said...

"Terribly beautiful" is a perfect description for this book. Hosseini shows us tragedy, dark and devastating, but in a way that is beautiful and finally redemptive. I was completely dumbfounded by the way this story progressed and it's finale. Once again, I started reading this book today, intending to only read a chapter or two, and ended up reading the entire book.