Monday, December 03, 2007

On Wicked by Gregory Maguire and The Witches by Roald Dahl

Two books on witches and I wasn't impressed by either one.

I anticipated a much better read when I picked up Wicked. I've heard so much about the Broadway show and my own sister raves about the music. I thought that this story would actually be pretty decent.

Instead I kept waiting to learn about what the main plot of the story was. Honestly, there didn't seem to see any one thing that the plot revolved around. Time and places jumped sometimes so quickly that I couldn't grab ahold and fully understand or ever empathize Elphaba. Along the way Maguire disappointed with his use of unnecessary swear words--not a lot but still... they were there-- and overtures to sexual things that simply made me uncomfortable.

I would not recommend this book to anyone.

I followed Wicked with The Witches, a book by Dahl and I figured that this one would be a little strange... along the same lines as other of his books. Although I do like the fact that the young boy who finds himself transformed into a rat by "the witches" is content to stay in his current shape and looks for ways to utilize his new abilities... the rest of the book simply did not satisfy. As usual Dahl's writing style is captivating. I just wish that he had a more positive tone to his books.

No comments: