Monday, December 17, 2007

On The Measure of a Woman by Deeanne Gist

I don't know why I added this book to my list because before seeing her name on my list I had never heard of her. I am wary of reading books by authors I have heard nothing about or read nothing by them... simply because of past experience.

Unfortunately I am even more wary when I dive into a book by a new Christian author because many times the writing is so pedestrian and trite... especially when the book is historical/western fiction.

I say all of that to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Ms. Gist. As I read the book and became more familiar with the characters. I started to become frustrated with Rachel's behavior because she was so stubbornly holier than thou. Yet at the same time I couldn't help but be drawn to her and her struggle to mesh her beliefs with a land that runs contrary to almost all of them. Every time it looked like Rachel could resolve her difficulties something else would crop up and make things all that more complicated.

When the book ended I found myself wanting more. I wanted a resolution to Lissa's story and perhaps Ms. Gist will write about that in the future. I don't know. I appreciate though Ms. Gist's lack of deus ex machina. Stories simply flow a whole lot better and are much more enjoyable without that particular hackneyed technique.

I can't wait to read more of her works.

No comments: