Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On... the Bhagavad-Gita translated by Stephen Mitchell

This book intrigued me. I've never read any holy book of other religions of the world which is why I put this book on my list. I intend to read others if for no other reason than to learn what the people of these religions believe so that I am better able to minister to them.

This book is in the form of an epic poem which actually finds a home in the much larger Mahabharata, India's national epic and an epic poem larger than the more well-known Iliad or Odyssey.

I won't go through all of the details of the tenants of belief presented in this book... that is a job for a much more in-depth study... but I kept thinking about the contrasts between Christianity and Hinduism. I saw aspects of the truth in the very well-written poem but I also saw the folly of man and how man tries to create his own religion.

When I read the section about Krishna revealing himself I couldn't help thinking about when God revealed just a portion of His glory to Moses. While Arjuna begged for a gentler less horrific form of Krishna, Moses felt himself humbled by God showing just a portion of his glory. The primary difference comes in how these worshipers fear their god.

I found the book very interesting and recommend it to those who wish to learn more about other religions.

3 comments:

Karlene said...

Hi Eva! You won The Young Merlin Trilogy for the Winter Reading Challenge contest. Send me your mailing address and I'll get it out ASAP.

Thanks for playing.

Karlene

Karlene said...

Ooops. I must've typed something wrong. Here's my e-mail link. (Hope it works this time.)

Karlene said...

Shoot! it's rakrose59 at hotmail dot com.