Thursday, January 10, 2008

On ... The Election Process, a comparative look

On the cover of the magazine in front of me I find the following headlines at the top of the page: "Obama Takes Iowa, but Don't Count Hillary Out" and "Can Huckabee Keep the Faith in New Hampshire?"

One can hardly turn to major magazines or the national or even local media without hearing something about the ongoing election process. For some this can be a good thing, a sign that America is paying attention to a race that could have dramatic effects on their life or their children's life. Others find themselves so sick of the constant barrage of information and the spinning of pundits that they almost want to become physically sick.

Recently I have started to pay much closer attention to this race. I fully believe in the electoral process and try to take a look at the election in light of the big picture. Having studied history and received a degree in history the political process is immensely fascinating. Some of my biggest pet peeves come from how people view their vote. ... Don't get me started on the whole "I'm voting for someone who I think could win but not this other person because I don't want to lose my vote." :D

Something new about this election for me is that I've discovered other people just as pumped up and fired up as I am about the political process. I've even gotten into some rather heated political debates and enjoyed it to some extent.

Then sometimes I wonder about how Christians can practically tear each other apart on the benefits or detractions of a particular candidate. I could get into how I feel about that and how I think a Christian should choose a candidate but that is not the point of this entry.

I started this entry after I opened the above mentioned magazine to the second page where the headline on the article is "when the balloting leads to bloodshed" a brief article about the tremendous violence in Kenya. The picture on the page just about breaks my heart. A father carries one of his sons while running beside the other two. The reason they are running: backlash against the candidate chosen in the election.

This violence is going on now. This election occurred within days of the Iowa caucuses. As Christians this reality should change my actions in my own electoral process. I am grateful for the history of my country. I am grateful for the teaching instilled in me by my parents, school and church.

Instead of tearing apart a fellow Christian in any fashion I will step back from my own opinions no matter how important I think they are and perhaps say a prayer for the poor souls in Nairobi.

1 comment:

Eric said...

When my personal opinion becomes more important than either the physical or spiritual well-being of another human being, it is time for me to step back from my opinion.

While I decry the bitterness and cynicism that has high jacked our political debate and national discussions, I am still glad that I live in America where defeat might come with a serving of nasty language and smugness, but it does not come with a death sentence.

Of course, it is important to remember that violence does not appear out of nowhere. When we demonize those we disagree with, we put our foot on the path whose ultimate end is violence.