Monday, January 28, 2008

On... Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington

After reading an introduction to Booker T. Washington at the beginning of the book I found myself intrigued by the man. I've read W. E. B. Dubois' The Souls of Black Folks in which he does not think all that highly of Washington's writing.

I always found myself intrigued by the lives of black people both under slavery and just after. I don't think I agree with Washington's approach for helping them. His advice for bringing them up out of the devices that have oppressed them throughout the years of slavery.

His writing style is very captivating. I have no fault with him there. Unfortunately with nonfiction, the idea that the author is presenting often plays a significant role in how his writing is received.

For a student of history I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book written by a very famous man in American history. I consider it another piece of the puzzle that is human history.

No comments: