Wednesday, January 02, 2008

On... Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie

I thought this book would fall along the lines of other books of hers that I've read and in many ways it did. In one significant way it did not. I don't know if this makes me enjoy the book more or not.

This book is narrated by Nurse Leatherann in the first person rather than in the third person of the detective. Obviously, much of the detective work still came through the person of Nurse Leaterann but I did appreciate the story being told from another point of view.

Unfortunately that one beneficial aspect did little to increase Agatha Christie's standing in my mind. While her books are not pedestrian in the least they do seem a little unbelievable. I noticed in this book that once again all of the suspects are confined within a certain area... in this case the archeological expedition... and the detective never has to stretch his deduction skills to include normal suspects that in real life would probably not stick around in order to be questioned. ;)

No comments: