Friday, January 11, 2008

On... Sons of an Ancient Glory by B.J. Hoff

This fourth book of the Emerald Ballad series introduces new characters to the ever evolving story and promotes others to the forefront of the story.

Unfortunately the quality of storytelling does not improve. I noticed during my reading of this book that the plots seem to cycle around near death experiences. Several of the characters have nearly died more times than a cat who has used up all nine lives. Sometimes these near death experiences came absolutely out of nowhere. For instance... within mere moments, seconds really, one of the characters is deathly ill with cholera.

Yeah. I like stretching my imagination to encompass the unexpected or unusual but still, I appreciate gradual stretches more than quantum, yet predictable leaps.

Thankfully only one book remains in the series.

No comments: